Bihar, located in the eastern part of India, is known for its rich cultural and religious heritage. It is home to several significant religious sites that attract pilgrims and tourists from all over the world. Here are some of the top religious places in Bihar:
Best Religious Places in Bihar for Tourists
- Mahabodhi Temple, Bodh Gaya: The Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya is one of the most revered Buddhist pilgrimage sites in the world. It is the place where Gautama Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree. The temple complex is a UNESCO World Heritage site and houses the famous Mahabodhi Stupa.
- Vishnupad Temple, Gaya: Located in Gaya, the Vishnupad Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is believed to have been built on the footprints of Lord Vishnu himself. The temple attracts a large number of Hindu devotees who come to offer prayers and perform rituals for the salvation of their ancestors.
- Takht Sri Patna Sahib, Patna: Takht Sri Patna Sahib is one of the most important Sikh pilgrimage sites. It is located in Patna, the capital city of Bihar, and is the birthplace of Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh Guru. The gurdwara complex is a sacred place for Sikhs and houses several historical Sikh artifacts.
- Gurdwara Handi Sahib, Patna: Another significant Sikh pilgrimage site in Bihar is Gurdwara Handi Sahib, also located in Patna. It is believed to be the place where Guru Gobind Singh prepared food (Langar) for his army. The gurdwara is known for its peaceful ambiance and is visited by a large number of Sikh devotees.
- Nalanda University Ruins, Nalanda: Although not a religious site in the traditional sense, the ruins of Nalanda University near Patna hold great historical and spiritual significance. Nalanda was a renowned center of learning in ancient India and attracted scholars from different parts of the world. The site serves as a reminder of India’s rich intellectual and spiritual heritage.
- Pawapuri, Nalanda: Pawapuri is a sacred place for Jains and is the place where Lord Mahavira, the 24th Jain Tirthankara, attained nirvana. The Jal Mandir, a temple in the middle of a lotus pond, is the main attraction in Pawapuri.
- Rajgir: Rajgir is an important religious site for both Buddhists and Jains. It is believed to be the place where Buddha delivered many sermons and attained several stages of enlightenment. The Venu Vana Vihara and the Gridhakuta Hill are popular attractions in Rajgir.
These are just a few of the top religious places in Bihar. The state has a rich religious and cultural heritage, and there are many more temples, mosques, gurdwaras, and shrines scattered across the region, each with its own historical and spiritual significance.